CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chicken Under a Brick

I have pretty much been DYING to try this recipe ever since my sister gave it to me over four years ago (in a recipe binder on my wedding day... thus the slacker in my chef-ti-ness). I finally got the courage to debone a chicken yesterday, let it marinate over night and cooked it up today. It was sooooo good, I think I still have garlic on my breath, gross for you, good for me. I knew it was good because I had it over 6 years ago at my sister's house when I visited her in Pittsburgh... which is weird that the next time I had it, was in Pittsburgh, in my sister's old house... doo-do-doo-do *twilight zone music*. Anyway, I had to see if I could make it... and if I can make it... anyone can. Just don't melt your hand picking up a hot skillet from the oven like idea. I know, I'm brilliant!

Whole chickens are cheap, I think I got mine for around $3.50... in Pittsburgh, so it may even be cheaper some place else. Budget friendly, semi-healthy, yumm-o meal... that's the way uh-huh uh-huh, I LIKE it!!! Give it a try, and let me know if you do!

Stuffed and Satisfied,
Slacker Chef


1 Whole (3 to 4 pound) Chicken, trimmed of excess fat, then rinsed and patted dry
1 Tb. minced fresh Rosemary, plus 2 sprigs fresh Rosemary
2 tsps. Salt
1 Tb. coarsely chopped Garlic
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Lemon, quartered

NOTE: It is best to plan ahead for this dish, so you'll have time to let it marinate.

Remove the chicken's backbone and split the chicken (you can find a lot of tutorials on line, I used THIS). Mix together minced rosemary, salt, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and then rub all over the chicken. Tuck some of it under the skin, too. Allow to marinate, if time permits, for up to a day in the fridge.

When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 450ยบ. Preheat and ovenproof skillet over medium high heat on the stovetop. Press the rosemary sprigs into the skin of the chicken. Put the remaining olive oil into the skillet and wait a minute for it to heat up. Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down, along with any pieces of rosemary and garlic. Weight the chicken with another skillet or a flat pot lid and a couple of bricks or rocks. The basic idea is to flatten the chicken.

Cook for 10 minutes on the stove top, then transfer, still weighted, to the oven. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes more. Take the chicken from the oven and remove the weight; turn the chicken over (skin side up) and roast 10 minutes more, or until done. Serve hot at room temperature, with lemon wedges.


***Pictures to come... not that they are spectacular... still waiting for my dream camera, *sigh*

0 comments:

Post a Comment